So, if you are ready to pack your bags to enjoy your summer vacations along the sea-coast, or are interested in camping but this time in your air-conditioned campervan you came to the right place!
Why an Air Conditioned Campervan?
It becomes unbearable when the temperature in the campervan rises. At that moment, no ventilation or breeze coming from the window will calm you down; only the air-conditioning inside the campervan will offer you an adequate remedy.
Suppose you travel to the mountainsides in summer, and if you are a traveler, you may know that summers on the mountainsides are unbearable. You need a cooling unit in your campervan that will lower the temperature inside the van for you. Otherwise your skin will burn or if the temperature rises too much, you can get heatstroke.
You also need to carry your food with you, whether it is cooked or uncooked, it would be stale due to high temperature. An air conditioning unit maintains the temperature inside so that your indoor refrigerator works properly and your food stays fresh.
Also, if the weather is not so hot, but you are carrying so many electrical appliances in your small campervan, it will generate heat and energy that is not bearable for you or your appliances, as the heat generation can destroy them.
But, as we all know, oftentimes there are no built-in units for air-conditioners in the campervan, in that case, so you have to look for some other means for cooling.
Campervan’s air conditioning units come in various sizes, designs, and types. Mentioned below are the three basic types:
Types Of Campervan Air Conditioners:
Roof-top Air Conditioner
As the name suggests, this air conditioner sits on the roof of your campervan. People who have larger campervans install air conditioners on the top because they are easy to install and cheaper.
The only problem with these models is that they are on the roof, so they interfere with the roof lights. For this reason, some people build additional lighting systems to compensate for this.
Roof air conditioners are useful in a way that they do not need additional air ducts, and the airflow from top to bottom is natural. They can vary in size and weight, so you can choose the size that best fits your RV.
Under - Bunk Air Conditioner
This is a type of portable air conditioner that is placed under your bed, sofa or closet. However, they are not very popular as they are challenging to install due to the location of the air ducts on the top.
Nevertheless, they are installed by many people because they do not make much noise and are lighter than the other two types of models. They are also powerful enough to cool the entire campervan, even if it is lowered.
Small Portable Air Conditioner:
If your campervan does not support the weight of an air conditioner on the roof or you do not have room to put an air conditioner under the bunk, you can use small portable air conditioners.
They are not as large as those installed in office units and require an open room or window to push the ducts outside, which makes them less efficient compared to the other two types. Still, they are powerful enough to lower the temperature inside the campervan.
Follow this article to get find out about the best air-conditioning units you can install in your campervans. But before we get started, let’s have a quick sneak-peak at the pros and cons of having an air-conditioner in your campervan.
Pros And Cons Of Having Air Conditioning in a Campervan:
- The campervan air conditioning system maintains the temperature inside the campervan regardless of the outside weather.
- In hot weather, food such as sandwiches, chocolate, and fruit will not last long, but in a campervan, with air conditioning, your food will survive better.
- Shreds of evidence say that the refrigerator inside the campervan works better because the overall temperature is maintained, and no humidity from the outside affects the refrigerator’s function.
- If you have a roof-mounted air-conditioner in your campervan, you can easily remove it and reinstall it in your new campervan.
- You can turn off your air-conditioner as soon as the temperature is maintained to reduce the extra cost.
- If you are allergic to dust and you have installed the right AC then it will not only maintain a cool temperature but also filters the air.
- Additional weight will be added, depending on the air conditioner’s model. The weight increase is about 30 to 40 kg.
- Before installing the air conditioner, you must familiarize yourself with the power supply and ensure the power rating is correct.
- The increase in power and weight leads to high fuel consumption.
- The air conditioner’s fans/compressors are always noisy, so that the noise may be unbearable for you and your neighbors.
- It would be best if you considered how to dissipate the water that the air conditioner collects from the cold condensed air.
- Maybe you have a small campervan, and your roof is not strong enough to carry the weight, so you may need to consider installing a portable model or a model under the bunk that might create some extra space.
- These units may look small, but they are expensive, and can be expensive to maintain.
Please be careful not to maintain a high-temperature difference between the inside and outside of the campervan. This can cause heat stroke if you move from a low temperature towards a higher temperature.
If you are convinced that you need an air conditioning campervan, read on to get your hands on the right air-conditioning system for your campervan.
Our Top Campervan Air Conditioning Unit Picks:
If you are looking for a high-quality, intelligently designed, less noisy rooftop air conditioner, then your search is over with the Dometic Brisk II rooftop air conditioner, it’s all you need. Its elegant exterior, sleek design, simple colour and key features will grab your attention from the start.
- Available colours: White and Black
- The first and most important feature is that this campervan AC produces less noise compared to other popular ACs because it includes dampening brackets that help reduce noise and vibration.
- It has a larger air outlet that maximizes airflow.
- It carries a weight of 72 pounds, or approximately 33 kg.
- It measures 29.18 x 27.23 x 12.7 inches, each LxWxH.
- The exterior is smooth and does not take up much space.
- The voltage and power required to operate this air conditioner are 110 volts and 2800 watts, respectively.
- The cooling capacity is 13,500 BTUs.
- Applicable for both duct and non-duct.
- The base is made of carbon steel, which increases its portability.
- Last but not least, it is 19 percent lighter than its original model.
- Easy to install, anyone can do it.
- No additional air ducts are required.
- Comes with a seal and a warranty card.
- Less noise
- A single unit is enough for a 40-foot bus, blows cold air while not blowing away the main circuits.
- It looks bulky but lightweight.
- Maintenance is easy.
- Can be viewed as over priced
- Does not have a control system.
- You must purchase a separate control bolt, which is fragile and plastic.
- No manual for installation.
This rooftop air conditioner from Dometic is sleek, lightweight, and easy to install. There is no need to hire a technician to install it, as it is as easy as plugging it in and unplugging it. Although it does not come with a control system, it works great once the control bolt is purchased. All in all, it is a great product and worth purchasing.
If you find yourself in a situation where you cannot install air conditioners on the roof or under the bunk, the portable air conditioner MIDEA 3 in 1 is the best option for you. All you have to do is place it anywhere, plug in the cable, and you can enjoy the comfort and simplicity of this unit in your home, office, campervan, or wherever you want. No installation or excessive DIY is required.
- Smart design and modern construction make it unique.
- Three working modes: as air conditioner, fan only, or a humidifier.
- LED display for temperature indication with intelligent remote control.
- Keeps the temperature between 62°F-90°F.
- Available in different capacities to cover maximum areas such as 150 sq ft, 200 sq ft, 275 sq ft, and 330 sq ft. Price ranges accordingly.
- It is suspended with an air filter that filters the bad air.
- The cooling capacity is 8,000 BTU.
- Overall dimensions are 13 x 17.1 x 28.3 inches, LxWxH.
- Alexa activated.
- The temperature is automatically maintained.
- It is remotely controlled and contains sensors that detect the temperature around you when you are nearby.
- Four wheels surround it.
- Effortless operation.
- Easy mobility due to the presence of wheels.
- Sleep mode helps save energy and additional costs.
- The filters are washable and reusable.
- They filter out bad air, dust particles, and pet hairs, which is advantageous for allergy sufferers.
- Features in-depth installation guide
- The temperature is maintained automatically, so you don’t have to wake up at night to turn it on and off again and again.
- The installation does not take much time.
- Portable air.
- Since it stands on the floor, it takes up more space.
- Less efficient because the duct has to be pushed outwards through the open windows, which affects the coolness of the air.
- Drainage is not easy.
- Can be abit loud.
- The filters need to be cleaned every week to keep them working.
- To avoid leakage from the AC, it is necessary to drain the water every next hour.
Although the product is slim, intelligent, and stylish and its cooling capacity is good enough, Its poor drainage system makes it less valuable. But still good value for the price!
If you have decided to replace your old air conditioner on the roof with a new, highly effective, UV-resistant, more robust, and thicker air conditioner then there is no better option than installing an ICON Brisk Air Dometic Duo Therm RV Air Conditioner Shroud, Old Style.
- Available in white color.
- Consists of high-quality polymer material.
- Overall dimensions in terms of LxWxH are 35.5″ x 29.5″ x 12 5/8″.
- Easy to install.
- It is more robust than the original.
- Extra 2″ moulded for durability and protection.
- Old style sheathing to fit with all 11000, 13500, and even 15000 BTUs.
- Lightweight, i.e., approx. 12.5 kg.
- It is highly UV resistant.
- Attractive design.
- Mounting only with the original hardware.
- Very light in weight, can be handled easily.
- Easy to install by following simple steps.
- Fits with all the old-style models.
- Provides higher durability than the original.
- Cover has slots molded into it for airflow.
- Provides more protection for the condenser coil.
- Made up of soft plastic, still highly protective.
- UV resistant.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Slightly overly priced compared to quality.
- Drill fits are not as tight as they should be.
- Very basic molding.
- Holes don’t line up; you have to drill some to make a better fit.
The product has good ratings and offers a high-quality service. However, depending on the quality the price is a little high, but if you can afford the price, then you must install one of these amazing units.
Many of you still feel comfortable with the old traditional window air conditioner, regardless of how many new types and models enter the market. For those who like these units, the Midea U inverter window air conditioner is here, and offers intelligent control, energy-saving, and quick installation.
- U-shaped inverter window AC.
- Available with a cooling capacity of 12000 BTU.
- Alexa enabled
- Inverter AC helps in keeping the electricity bills down. You can save up to 35% more energy.
- Overall product dimension is 21.97 x 19.17 x 13.46 inches.
- Unlike other air conditioners, this model doesn’t create noise or vibration.
- Wi-fi enabled – You can operate these units from anywhere using cloud sharing settings on your iOS or Android devices.
- Features support brackets for robust installation.
- You can feel the airflow even if you are standing 20ft away from the AC.
- Doesn’t produce noise.
- No water leakage.
- Smart controls can be operated from anywhere.
- Perfect fit when installed.
- Small and space-saving.
- More efficient than the older units.
- Appealing looks.
- It’s U shape does what it promises – it keeps the stylish part inside and the noisy part outside.
- Its efficient design helps you to open windows without any difficulty.
- You need to spend extra time on installation. It seems easy but can be quite tricky.
- The front bracket of the air conditioner has a gap which allows the outside airflow inside. So it needs to be fixed before using.
- Not suitable for older wirings systems, as they might get trip.
- Alexa works well with Androids, but for iOS, the working is less efficient.
If you are looking for a stylish, elegant, less energy-consuming air conditioner, then your search is over with this model. Installation may be complicated, but if you give 15 minutes more time to read and understand the guide, the installation will be easy.
SereneLife SLPAC10 10,000 BTU Portable 3-in-1 Air Conditioners are highly portable and handy air conditioners. If you are looking for an AC unit that gives an appealing look and covers a larger area, then this model will be a perfect fit for you.
- The cooling capacity is 10000 BTU.
- The dimension of this model is 17.4’’ L x 13.4’’ W x 32.1’’ H.
- Though it weighs around 62 pounds, still it is lighter in weight.
- Easy to install: simple plugin method.
- Three ways of operating mode: AC, humidifier, or fan only.
- Digital touch button.
- Convenient for area/room of up to 420 sq ft.
- Low-level noise
- 5 L / hr moisture removal.
- Handy and easy to move due to the presence of wheels.
- Easy installation.
- Built-in dehumidifier, Ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Fast cooling.
- Evaporative dry function, you won’t need to empty the water buckets again and again.
- Not a perfect choice for smaller areas.
- If you want to replace/ repair it, you need to pay the shipping cost.
- Can be noisy.
- Window venting is one of the problematic parts.
- No heat setting system for this model.
If you own a huge campervan and can tolerate the loud noise of the compressor, this portable, and handy air conditioner should be your first choice. The product works and performs well overall.