It is always fun to drive through different campsites and explore new places. But we live in a modern era where the things we use most are run by electricity, and they need a power supply to be recharged so they can be used properly. Be it your cell phone, iPad, laptop, or any other electronic gadgets; it needs a power supply.
And if you have decided to camp in an area where there is no electricity supply, for example: What will you do if you have decided to camp in a forest or on a mountainside…… where will find a power supply? There will be no way out if you do not have an emergency plan.
Have you made your backup plan by packing an extra leisure battery to recharge your equipment? You will have to drive for hours to charge this leisure battery fully. Will you have fun, or will you drive? This is certainly not ideal.
Now the fun starts here, it’s time for sunset, and you have to get back into your campervan to get your raw food out of the fridge and prepare your dinner. But wait, what is that smell? Your food is stale because the battery for the power supply you plugged in has failed, and your refrigerator no longer works. If you have a generator in your campervan, the fridge will not stop working, and you can easily use your frozen meat for cooking. Plus, you don’t have to worry about charging your appliances, and you can also use your electric shower and then sit back in your air-conditioned campervan to relax after a long and tiring day.
How about traveling to an area where there is a power supply, why would you purchase a generator? A fully furnished campervan together with a generator will help you save your rental costs for overnight stays when you visit a place.
I think these examples are enough to convince you that you should purchase a generator for your campervan if you want a peaceful and relaxing camping trip.
If you have so far been convinced of the importance of generators in your campervan, then continue reading this article to choose the best and right generator according to your budget, size and capacity of your campervan.
But before we go any further, let’s discuss the types and pros and cons of generators.
Table of Contents
Types Of Generators
So far we have 8 different types of generators for different purposes. But, when you are travelling only 3 types of generators will best support you.
- Portable generators
- Inverter generators
- Solar generators
Portable generators are very popular when travelling. They are known for producing and generating electricity for a temporary period of time.
Depending on the model, they require different engine boosters for starting. Some require gas; some need fuel, even some others rely on a rechargeable battery for their operation.
However, they are not capable of producing electricity for hours, but they are still the best partners for travellers. They are intelligent enough to operate the necessary lighting, the small refrigerator, the TV, the chargers and in some cases, even the air conditioning.
Inside these generators, you will find a small tribune which is responsible for producing electricity. Besides, you do not need any experts to install these portable generators. All you need is to plug all the important cables directly into the generator’s power outlet, and you are ready to go.
- This is one of the cheapest generators of all types.
- Easy to install
- Portable enough to be performed anywhere.
- Perfect for generating a smaller amount of energy.
- If you use fuels to generate electricity, they will become expensive for you.
- They are portable, but they are very not durable.
These generators are famous for being the quietest generator of all. Therefore they are perfect for peaceful camping in a relaxed environment.
Their engine is powerful and equipped with an alternator to produce alternating current. This alternating current is converted into direct current, which helps the engine to work quietly and silently.
They are good at consuming 20% less fuel and generating the appropriate amount of voltage, which is safer for your small electrical appliances.
One of the best features of these generators is the engine speed, which automatically adjusts itself according to the amount of electricity needed.
- They are capable of providing adequate amounts of electricity for sensitive devices.
- Engine speed is automatically adjustable.
- High fuel efficiency.
- They are pricey compared to the other models.
- The power output is not as high as other options.
If you are camping in the forest and do not want to harm nature, solar generators are the best option. They use the sun or solar radiation, capture it and later use it to generate electricity compared to fuel generators that cause pollution.
Inside the generator, there are inverters that convert solar energy into alternating current before distributing the electricity to the whole sector.
Three main parts: Batteries, inverters, and charge controllers, work in collaboration to achieve high-performance results.
The installation is simple, and the operation is also easy. All you have to do is switch the generator on, and they are all set to deliver the required amount of electrical power.
- Use new energy, no fuel cost, and consumption.
- No harmful emissions.
- One of the best choices for off-grid cabins.
- They are highly expensive.
- Since they belong to solar energy so the power storage will be affected by weather changes.
- Can take a while to install the solar panels.
Our Top Generator Picks from Amazon:
Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer More Information:
If you are looking for a solar generator with a robust backup battery, the Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 240 is a perfect choice. These are the best generators for emergencies during Camping trips. Elegant, lightweight, and space-saving.
- This generator offers you a portable power station to fulfill your desire for camping without any difficulty.
- This will not produce any sound, also they are eco friendly.
- Consist of a lithium-ion battery pack which is 240 watt-hour.
- No fuel requirements, just pack your jackery power station and ready for camping.
- They are specifically designed for charging up your mini coolers, laptops, small devices, essential lightings, and also you can charge your drone with this powerful solar generator.
- Pure SINE wave AC outlet.
- It has multiple outputs for various mini devices.
- It weighs around 6.6 pounds, so it is handy for you and can be carried anywhere.
- Overall dimension is Dimensions: 9.05*5.24*7.87 inches respectively.
- It contains 2 USB ports.
- Lightweight and portable.
- No fuel consumptions
- Pollution-free and eco friendly.
- You can recharge it in 4 ways.
- Covers larger capacity in a smaller size.
- Extra battery for backup.
- Input and output power meters to monitor the power at the same time.
- It is not supportable for heavy or high voltage devices.
- Comes without a solar panel; you have to buy separately depending upon your needs.
- Can be expensive.
- The installation of solar panels is complicated.
- Charging time is more
- Portable but delicate.
If you do not want to destroy nature and avoid fuel use, you have the best choice in front of you. However, they are very expensive, and installing solar panels is a challenge. Nevertheless, these portable generators are the best partners for your trips.
Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station More Information:
Are you looking for an emergency power backup and want to overcome power failure? You need to try Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station. This is one of the best portable solar generators available, equipped with a backup lithium battery so you can continue your journey without a power outage. Their outstanding feature is that they are able to power most household appliances.
- Uniquely stylish comes in sleek and smart design.
- Its Charging time is 6 hours approx, which is excellent.
- It contains a lithium-ion battery with a voltage of 120 volts.
- 2 USB ports and three charging ports.
- Voltage is evenly divided, so highly recommended for sensitive devices.
- They are specially designed with no engine, which means no noise and no fumes.
- Protection for battery and connected devices against overload and overheating.
- It offers you three modes of lighting.
- Multiple and versatile outlets and suitable for any power leads.
- They are solar energy-dependent, so you don’t need to expense on fuels.
- It weighs around 3.5 pounds, which means they are incredibly lightweight.
- Three ways of charging.
- Dimensions of the product 8.14″ L x 3.77″ W x 7″ H.
- Small and handy.
- No fumes, no noise, and no air pollution.
- Eco friendly.
- It can be used outdoors as well as indoors.
- No engine.
- Highly portable.
- Versatile outlets, and best suitable for sensitive devices like mobiles, laptops, etc.
- Digital display for watts, fuel level, and the time is remaining on fuel.
- You can also run your campervan air conditioner with this generator.
- Positively fuel-efficient, powerful, and inverter generator.
- Can be expensive
- The startup cord is delicate.
- It takes a long time to shut off the generator.
- Gas caps can be problematic.
If you have a smaller campervan and you have space problems, this generator is your problem solver. However, the starter cable is delicate, but you can solve this problem by carefully handling the cable. Overall the generator has a good performance and will be a reliable partner on your camping trips.
BALDR Portable Power Station 330W More Information:
If you have a larger campervan and have many electronic devices that require power, BALDR Portable Power Station 330W, Portable Solar Generator is your best option. They have a large capacity and can cover most electrical appliances. Like other solar generators, they are environmentally friendly.
- It has a power capacity of 297wh.
- Three ways of charging: charged with solar panels, power sockets or 12 V socket can be attached to the car for charging.
- Extended battery life.
- Pure sine wave inverter is placed inside the generator which helps it to work fast and most stable.
- Environmental friendly.
- Overall product dimension 11.6 x 8.27 x 7.68 inches.
- They don’t produce noise.
- Since it is a larger capacity generator so they are a bit heavy, i.e., 7.6 lbs.
- Normally it is charged within 5-8 hours but when charging with your car by connecting a 12 V unit it would take longer to charge.
- It is equipped with a wireless charger and a built-in multi-mode flashlight, which is capable of quickly charging the mobile and other small devices in case of emergency.
- It has three ways for charging the battery so the backup is long-lasting
- 4 ways to charge your devices.
- Small, handy, and portable.
- Internal fan to keep the battery cool.
- The battery works like a tank and can hold up the charge for several days if you are not using it.
- You just need to switch on the power button to start it, no need for pulling the power cord.
- Charger is wireless.
- For making it easy to use the control buttons are placed outside.
- It has a LED light.
- It produces a loud beep sound when turning it on/off.
- Instead of white, LED light is yellow in color which is can be distracting.
- Takes longer than the mentioned time for charging.
- If using it with a half-charged battery then the battery will drain quickly.
These are the cutest, smartest, and handiest generators that will add even more charm to your camping vacation.
Ampeak 1000W Power Inverter Truck/RV Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Converter More Information:
While enjoying the silence and beauty of nature, camping is made even better if you have an Ampeak 1000W Power Inverter Truck/RV Inverter 12V DC to 110V AC Converter with two AC outputs. These inverter generators are famous for being the quietest generators ever. These generators also have many other important features.
- It is a 1000W high power inverter and converts the Direct current into the Alternative current as quickly as possible.
- A cooling fan to keep the machine cool is present inside.
- LED indicators for mentioning the remaining time.
- It has a built-in mini slip fuse to provide you advanced safety against short circuits, low voltage, overload, and overheat.
- Only a 12 V battery is enough to get it started.
- Independent power switch button.
- Its working temperature is 32°F (0°C) – 104°F (40°C)
- 18-months hassle-free warranty.
- Best for indoor and for outdoor.
- 2 AC outlets.
- Next level safety protection.
- Requires only a 12V battery for charging,
- Small and handy.
- Can power up the small fridge.
- Robust cooling system to keep the inverter’s temperature down.
- Not applicable to sensitive devices.
- It can’t be placed under the sun or near any warmer area.
This product is intelligent and handy and has excellent results. However, the price is a bit high, but those who can afford it will find that no one can compete with its reliability.